Galatians Reading (#2)
Take a few minutes to catch up and pray that God would bless you through the reading of His word.
Read Galatians 1:11-24
[1:11] For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel.  For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.  For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it.  And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers.  But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace,  was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone;  nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days.  But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother.  (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!)  Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia.  And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ.  They only were hearing it said, “He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.”  And they glorified God because of me.
- What does Paul want his readers to know (v 11)?
- How did Paul receive the gospel that he teaches (v 12)?
- How did he not receive it?
- What did Paul do in his “former life” (v 13)? What characterized his involvement in Judaism (v 13-14)?
- What happened to Paul before he was born (v. 15)?
- By what was Paul called (v 15)?
- Who was revealed to Paul (v 16)? For what purpose (v 16)?
- What did Paul not do after he was called (v 16)? Where did he not go (v 17)? Where did he go (v 17)?
- Where did Paul go after three years (v 18)?
- Who did Paul see there (v 18-19)?
- Where did he go next (v 21)?
- Did the churches in Judea know Paul in person (v 22)?
- What did they know about him (v 23)?
- What did they do as a result (v 24)?
- How do v. 13-17 demonstrate the point that Paul wants to make in v. 12?
- We know that the there were some in the Galatian churches who were challenging Paul’s credentials.
- How would it damage his authority if he had been taught the gospel by Peter or another apostle?
- How did it help him to point out that he learned the gospel directly from the risen Jesus?
- Paul is clear that his salvation, his ministry, and his gospel all came to him at God’s initiative. Are the things that Paul says in v. 15-16 true of all believers, or just Paul?
- Do you think of your salvation the way that Paul did (being set aside by God before birth…)? If you did, how would that embolden you to serve God?
- The churches in Judea glorified God because of Paul’s conversion. What is there in these verses that would lead you to glorify God?
Share prayer requests and pray for each other.