Luke Reading (#27)
Take a few minutes to catch up and pray that God would bless you through the reading of His word.
Read Luke 9:46-62
[9:46] An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.  But Jesus, knowing the reasoning of their hearts, took a child and put him by his side  and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For he who is least among you all is the one who is great.”
 John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.”  But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”
 When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.  And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him.  But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem.  And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?”  But he turned and rebuked them.  And they went on to another village.
 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”  And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”  To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”  And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”  Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.”  Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”
- What were the disciples arguing about (v. 46)?
- What did Jesus use to correct them (v. 47-48)?
- What did he say to them about greatness (v. 48)?
- What had the disciples seen (v. 49)? How did Jesus respond (v. 50)?
- What did Jesus do in v. 51? When did he do it?
- How did the Samaritans receive Jesus (v. 53)?
- What did the disciples want to do (v. 54)?
- What did Jesus do (v. 55-56)?
- In each of the three encounters (v. 57-62):
- What did the person talking to Jesus want?
- What did Jesus tell them about following him?
- What does it mean to be “the least”? How does that make you great? How is a child a good example of what Jesus is talking about?
- Why were the disciples upset in v. 49? What is the meaning of Jesus’ response?
- What does it mean that the “days drew near for him to be taken up” (v. 51)? What does it mean that Jesus set his face for Jerusalem?
- Why would that cause the Samaritans to reject him?
- What is going to happen there?
- Why would the disciples want to destroy the Samaritans? Why does that not make sense in light of what is going to happen in Jerusalem?
- Is Jesus willing to be followed on terms other than his own?
- How do you struggle with being like a child or being “least”? How can you pursue true greatness through humility?
- Are there any ways that you are trying to follow Jesus on your terms rather than his?
Share prayer requests and pray for each other.